Friday, June 20, 2014

Movie Review: The Fault in Our Stars

Movie: The Fault in Our Stars
Genre: Drama
Starring: Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort
Rating: PG 13
My Rating: Two thumbs up

It felt like I took awhile to see this movie, even though it was still within two weeks of it being out. After having seen SO MUCH buzz and promotion for it, I felt like I was being disloyal to one of my favorite authors and the whole Nerdfighter community by not going right away and giving them my money that first all important weekend!

But life happens and we didn't get there until this past week. I'm sure they'll all survive!

Anyway. I'm guessing everyone knows what this movie is about, right? Two kids fighting cancer. But more importantly, it's about two kids falling in love and discovering that life isn't about the cancer they are fighting, but the life they are discovering. As part of that, they travel to The Netherlands to find a revered author and learn how a certain book ends. The author is terrible to them! But they learn stuff anyway. It's awesome. But can I just say, I'm so glad that there are some revered authors that live up the idea you have of them. Thank goodness for that!


And yes. The end is sad... terribly sad. I didn't think I'd cry since it was expected... I usually don't cry when someone tells me I'm supposed to.. I cry more at unexpected times, you know. But I cried. I mean, I leaked. I managed not to get to heaving sobbing sort of cry. But sheesh, it's pretty hard not to.

The thing is, this movie actually has more funny parts than sad parts. These characters are great! And I loved how Ansel portrays Gus. I mean, I wasn't so sure. He's okay in Divergent and all, but we just don't get to see what he can really do. But hes' really great. He has such an expressive face and eyes that he doesn't even need to say anything to let us know what he (as Gus) is feeling or thinking. Pretty much irresistible, that Gus!

That face! 

But being a mom, it's awfully hard not to relate more to the mom and the parent side of things with this movie. Seeing how they deal with things is inspirational and heartbreaking.

Anyway, I would say don't be scared of the subject matter and the sadness. Just go and be happy for your life! Okay? Okay!

Here's the trailer that you've all probably seen a gazillion times:



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails